November 10th, 2018
8:30am - 3:30pm
$20 (Late Registration is $30)
The Northwest Wisconsin Graziers Network and UW-Extension invite you to attend this year’s fall grazing conference in Shell Lake from 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM on Saturday, November 10, 2018.
The program will start at 8:30 AM and includes a catered meal by Lois Stellrecht, who is the owner of Lois’ Country Cupboard Cuisine and a local livestock farmer. This conference will combine the traditional cow/calf workshop with grazing information and will be of interest to new farmers, part-time or full-time operators and low-income startups whether a grazier or a non-grazier. Several agency and commercial exhibitors will be available to network with throughout the day. The specific topics and order of presentations will include:
- Keynote: Ten common health questions asked by beef graziers – Dr. Ryan Leiterman, DVM, Crystal Creek Naturals.
- Soil health through regenerative agriculture – Gabe Brown, Bismark, North Dakota. A pre-recorded presentation via streaming video. Investigating the role of cover crops and grazing livestock in building soils and land stewardship.
- Silvopasture economics and implementation – Diane Mayerfeld, UW-Madison Extension, Sustainable Agriculture Coordinator, CIAS.
- Practical Nutrition for grass finishing beef – Dr. Greg Brickner, DVM, Organic Valley Cooperative.
- Panel Discussion – Steps taken to start a grazing operation – Randy Gilbertson (Moderator), Kent Wabrowetz, Chris Johnson, and Mike Durand.
- Wolf Management Update in NW Wisconsin – Eric Fromm, Wildlife Services, USDA-APHIS.
Advance registration forms for the Conference are due by Tuesday, November 6.
Registration fee is $20 and includes lunch, snacks and materials. Late registration is $30.
For more information, contact UW-Extension Ag Agent Kevin Schoessow at Spooner: 715-635-3506, or NW Graziers members Lynn Johnson: 715-225-9882, Randy Gilbertson: 715-520-2112, or Otto Wiegand: 715-416-0513.
Shell Lake High School
271 US Highway 63